Thursday, January 12, 2012

Reflections

If you have read some of my earlier posts you will know I have a fascination with the surface of water and the designs to be found there-- like the fleeting evidence of passage traced by waterfowl or the dorsal fins of ghostlike carp in shallow water. The following photos are a series of abstractions made earlier this week with the camera's zoom at greatest power, focused on the surface of a small pond in the Jardin des Plantes.









On that same day I sat and drew by the water's edge and noted on my sketchbook page "I draw beneath a faint and colorless sky, my dreams more clear than the watery winter light, graphite on cream-- an uneasy alliance that will blur with time into a perfect mirror of this day." and "When I am outside nature always says to me 'This is the right place, the perfect time, the right body, the right life'...All is peace."

I also chose to leave a gift, a sort of offering to the natural world and the sense of wonder it inspires. I tucked a tiny fae bed and table with teacup, pipe and candlestick into a small cave inside a rocky hillside grotto-- a sheltered spot, yet in plain view--if one is looking.

fae bed

grotto where the bed is nestled in a tiny cave








So far the only detectable activity has been that on two days the little pedestal table had been moved--the first time simply knocked over, the second carried a foot away and almost out of sight in the narrow tunnels that stretch into the earth of the hillside. Obviously I had invaded someone's home so yesterday I moved both pieces to a more easily visible spot on the grotto rocks a few feet away and will return tomorrow to see what has transpired...

6 comments:

  1. fascinating patterns...water is almost hypnotic. And the tiny offering is of course lovely. How fun to be able to check back and see what is happening.... Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda! Your comments are always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea to leave nature a gift. Beautiful location and the drawings are very whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woooo.....I'm not the only one who's obcessed with taking pictures of the water surface! I also find all sorts of beings in there, from ghosts to fairies :)
    The nature gift is so beautiful (both the idea and the gift in itself)


    http://www.clothery.blogspot.com/#axzz1kwJfmWfk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention I once choreohraphed and interperted a performance/dance solo in which I used a video of different water surfaces as my scenario. Which is probably why this post hit home so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful background for a dance piece! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete